Owner Societe Vedettes Armoricaines. POR Brest
Builder S.I.C.C.N.A., St.Malo. Yn. 98 Comp 6.1968
Tonnage 194grt 103nrt 52dw
Dimensions 110' 25'1"
33.53m oa 29.29m bp
Propulsion 2 x 12 cyl Poyaud -
Passengers 300 428 hp.
The vessel was built in 1968 for Societe Vedettes Armoricaines, to maintain their services from Brest and La Conquet to the island of Ushent (Oussient).
The following year she was moved to commence a new service for the company between the Normandy port of Granville and Jersey which she opened on April 14 1969.
The market built up, and to cater for this a new faster vessel BRITTANIA was completed in June 1976, and KEVRENN after her trip on June 4 returned to Brest.
The vessel came back to Channel Islands waters in 1984, but this time operating between Carteret and St. Helier, as she was deemed too long to use the port of Gorey. She was not fast enough to compete with the catamarans on the much shorter route to Gorey, and the service was withdrawn at the end of the 1985 season.
During 1986 the vessel stood in on the Granville – St. Helier route due to breakdowns of BRITTANIA, and at this time both vessels were looking tired. KEVRENN returned to the service when BRITTANIA was sold in July 1988, but by this time she she was no match for the more modern vessels of other operators and made her last trip on September 16 1989 returning to Brest. Alterations had been made over the last couple of years, with the bulwarks being cut down at the bow and stern being altered and the lifeboat removed.
The vessel remained in service at Brest until about 2002 when it would appear that Vedettes Armoricaines ceased to trade, and KEVRENN went to join two other compant vessels at the “Cimetière à bateaux” at Landevennec. The vessel did move at times and was at Camaret in August 2007 but returned to Landevennec, with the three vessels being moored side by side.
She remained there until Wednesday October 6 2010, when with KOMETA tied alongside she was towed to Brest where she was lifted onto the quay to be broken up by la société Guyot Environnement. Récalcitrante
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 661/7 310w 421k
Inward bound to Jersey, September 26 1972
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 661/11 315w 980k
KEVRENN in her prime, well kept and with a full load of passengers inward bound to St. Helier August 21 1974.
Picture : CAP -
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP89/4/9 301w 430k
Inward bound to St. Helier from Carteret with very few passengers on August 4
1989 looking a little sorry for herself, and appearance not improved with the removal of her bulwarks forward and the changes at the stern.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE va3 100w 196k
Moored in the “Cimetière à bateaux” at Landevennec, May 21 2009 with JAGUAR and KOMETA.
Owner Channel Islands Packet Co. Ltd. (H. G. Benest Mgr)
Builder A & J Inglis, Point House. 1878
Tonnage 427gr 176net
Dimensions 205.0(rl) 24.1 12.7
Propulsion Single screw, SR 2cyl 29" & 54" -
Data from LR 1923/24 1906 return 403pass 22crew
The vessel was purchased by the Channel Islands Packet Co. Ltd. (H. G. Benest Mgr) in 1926, arriving in Jersey from Glasgow on June 5 that year. She then operated to Saint Malo, Granville, Sark and trips round the Island. The season closed on October 5 and the vessel laid up in St. Helier.
Early in 1927 she was overhauled in St. Helier, and on April 29 the local paper noted “The vessel now looks very smart in her new coat of grey paint and yellow funnel”. The next day KINLOCH moved into the stone dock for survey, remaining there until May 13. She entered service on June 4, and her season lasted until Sunday 25 September when she made an excursion to Saint Malo with 166 passengers.
The following day the paper announced that the vessel was being coaled, and she sailed for Southampton after deck chairs and other equipment had been taken ashore and stored. It was stated that another steamer would be procured for the next season, but this did not happen.
The vessel would appear to have gone to Scotland as one report states that she was broken up at Bo’ness in 1928, but she appears in Lloyds Register Casualty Returns as being broken up in the period April 1 to June 30 1929
KINLOCH was built in 1878 by A & J Inglis on behalf of the Campbeltown & Glasgow Steam Packet Joint Stock Co. Ltd. for their Glasgow to Campbelton service. She remained with the company until being purchased the Channel Islands Packet Company Ltd.
Picture : Laurent-
KINLOCH with black hull moored in Saint Malo.
Picture : C. Hection Emeraude, Dupuis et Langeard 305 574k
Moored in Saint Malo.
Picture : 310 578k
A stern view of KINLOCH again moored in Saint Malo.
Owner Societe Vedettes Armoricaines. POR Brest
Builder S. Ordzhonikidze Works, Poti. Date 1970
Tonnage 151gr 106net
Dimensions 35.11. 9.56m 2.16m
Propulsion Twin screw, 12 cyls Zvezda Works, Leningrad oil engines, 2,200 bhp,
KOMETA was first seen in Jersey on May 28 1987 when she was used on the Vedettes Armoricaines service from Saint Malo, replacing JAGUAR which had sustained a major engine problem the previous year. She was hardly the vessel for the route but operated again in 1988 and 1989. She again commenced in 1990 but made only a few trips, she stood in for AR VOR (which was operating from Granville) from July 9 to July 12, but sailed to/from Saint Malo. The ship made only one further trip on August 8 and was not seen again.
KOMETA as its name suggests was built in Russia, one of a large class of hydrofoil which were designed for use on the country’s rivers. She was imported for use on the owners service from Brest and Le Conquet to Ushant, but suffered continued mechanical problems, also dogged her Saint Malo – Jersey service, and it is doubtful if she saw any further service when she returned to Brest. She was joined in lay-
The three remained there until Autumn 2010, when JAGUAR departed for Port Launay, while KOMETA with KEVRENN still alongside, was towed to Brest on Wednesday October 6 2010, where she was lifted onto the quay to be broken up by la société Guyot Environnement. Récalcitrante
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP89/5/8 301w 53k
KOMETA in bound to St. Helier August 18 1989
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP98/6/10 305w 81k
Pictured departing Jersey August 28 1989.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE va 3 100w 196k
Moored in the “Cimetière à bateaux” at Landevennec, May 21 2009 with JAGUAR and KEVRENN.
Operator Marigold Sg. Co. Ltd
Radcliffe Channel Islands Sg. Co. Ltd.
Cohu (Motor House Ltd)
Builder James Taylor, Chertsey 1942 POR Plymouth 1948.
Tonnage 96gr 56net 80dw
Dimensions 111.7(rl) 17.9 6.9
Propulsion Twin screw, oil engines each 225hp 11 knots
KYANG was another of the Fairmile launch design, but unlike the Commodore vessels, was converted for cargo duties and was only able to carry twelve passengers, but had two large lifeboats. Her funnel was also removed.
She first came to the Channel Islands in January 5 1949 when she arrived under Capt. Maybury from Plymouth in an effort to set up a cargo link from that port under the name of Marigold Sg. Co. Ltd. The service was not a success, and made only three more calls, the last departing Jersey on March 6.
A month later on April 15 1949 she was back in Guernsey to commence the Radcliffe Channel Islands Sg. Co.’s service from Guernsey to Sark and Alderney. KYANG remained on the route until being replaced by RADCLIFFE in July, leaving for Plymouth on July 24. .
The ship returned to Guernsey on December 20 1949, arriving from Falmouth, having been chartered by Mr F & M. Cohu to provide an emergency service to Sark and Alderney when the Radcliffe Channel Islands Sg Co. ceased trading. The service was given a licence for a month and this was extended by a further month.
KYANG maintained the service until February 9 1950, sailing for Plymouth on February 16 1950.
Built in 1942, KYANG was first registered at Plymouth on June 16 1948 to Leslie William Andrews, of Marwynne, Challaborough, Bigbury-
On December 31 1948 she passed by Bill of Sale to John F. Threlfall, Fine Shades, Newton Ferres, Devon.
After her Channel Islands services the vessel appears to have done little, and on August 19 1950 she was offered for sale in Lloyds List.
The ships Registry was cancelled on June 29 1951 upon being sold to the Egyptian Government.
Cutting : Courtesy Robert Le Maistre
This illustration is taken from a Guernsey Evening Press cutting, and shows KYANG leaving St. Peter Port.