Owner T. L. Penny
Builder Wagstaff & Hatfield, Port Greville, N.S. 1.1945
Tonnage 288grt 111nrt
Dimensions 133.4(rl) 26.0 13.1 140.0 oa
Propulsion Single screw, Oil engine 8cyl
H.M.S. MMS 1066 was built in Canada as part of the War effort, being completed in January 1945.
On June 7 1946 the vessel was registered at Southampton as THE LADY PATRICIA being owned by Mr. Thomas Leslie Penny of Paignton, Devon. It was intended to operate the craft from Guernsey, and she arrived in St. Peter Port from Cowes on June16.
She made a number of trips to Sark and Alderney, but was not granted a proper passenger certificate due to being of wooden construction, and as a result left Guernsey for the mainland in August.
She was quickly sold by bill of sale dated September 27 1946 to Robert C. E. Ashby of Torquay with H. L. Quick being Manager, while other paperwork states Bowmakers were the managers. Reports of late 1946 state that the ship was fitted out for 15 people for a voyage to the Cape, but by mid 1947 the ship was up for sale at Bathurst, and a year later she was for sale in Dartmouth. By November 15 1949 Bowmakers & Co were the owners, and they sold her to Salway Morgan & Co., and on September 27 1952 they sold her to Belsize Boat Yard, Southampton.
NO FURTHER DETAILS
THE LADY PATRICIA as H.M.S. MMS 1066 101w 9k
Owner Conseil General de la Manche.
Operator Cie des Iles de la Manche.
Builder Gamelin, La Rochelle. 7 -
Tonnage 269grt 115nrt
Dimensions 37.20m x 8.60m x 3.09m tirant d’eau 2.00
Propulsion twin screw MTU 16v400 27knots
TOCQUEVILLE was especially built so that she could take the ground in Granville and Carteret and thus do away with having to re-
The vessel was built at La Rochelle and arrived at Granville from her builders late on Saturday 6 July 2007, entering service on Friday July 13.
The management of the services at the time was SNCM, but in April 2010 this changed to Finis’t Mer , and part of their tender submission was that they would only operate with two not three vessels.
TOCQUEVILLE had been overhauled at Cherbourg, leaving at 15:30 on Tuesday March 16 2010, and arrived Granville at 18:30. She then made a couple of trips to Jersey, her last being on March 21, when she departed at 18:00 for Granville and was then taken out of service and laid up in Saint Malo.
She was still there in August 2011
2011 November 24. By this time moved to new berth.
2014 April 11. Still in Saint Malo.
2014 October 14. Sailed from Saint Malo at 07:55, bound for La Pallice where she arrived at 07::55 the next day (15th).
2016 January 14. Sailed La Pallice for La Rochelle.
2016 3 March. Vessel started transmitting its AIS code at Kaohsiung, South Korea.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 001c 560k
TOCQUEVILLE arriving Jersey on maiden voyage July 13 2007.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 002c 572k
Departing Jersey July 13 2007.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 003c 606k
Pictured at Deauville against a very threatening sky, September 26 2007, the visit for a corporate function.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 004c 291k
TOCQUEVILLE laid up at Quai Charcot in Bassin Jacques Cartier, Saint Malo May 2011.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 005c 395k
TOCQUEVILLE passing through the lock system at Saint Malo on May 22 2014 to undergo a four hour sea trial. She had just been repainted, and there was no name or port of registry on display.
Owner 1949 Motor House Ltd.
1952 Service Maritime, (Mgr B. Saint-
Builder G. R. Mitchell, Portmallon, Mevagissey, Cornwall. 1935
Tonnage 49grt 22nrt
Dimensions 72.0(rl) 16.6 5.5 draft
69.1 15.85 8.0depth
69.1 15.8 draft 5’6”
Propulsion Twin screw, Ruston & Hornsby Ltd., oil engines each 104 bhp 7.5Kts.
Passengers 80 passengers(Gorey) 128 pass at Ipswich
TORBAY BELLE first came to the Islands in 1949 when she was acquired on May 5 by Motor House Limited, of Guernsey, arriving St. Peter Port from Dartmouth on May 13. The company operated services between Guernsey and Sark and she commenced on May 21. At that time there was a war between rival operators and Sark Chief Pleas (the Island’s Government) who decided to introduce a monopoly, and although Motor House had provided a year round service the route was granted to an English company.
Thus TORBAY BELLE was withdrawn on June16 1949 after only three weeks in service and went to lay up at Poole. When advertised for sale in June 1950 it was stated that her passenger certificate was for 128 passengers, and that she had been re-
That French subject was Mons B. Saint-
TORBAY BELLE retained her name, and made her maiden voyage for her new owner on May 29 1952 under the command of Capt. Pignot. By 1966 the vessel was over thirty years old and with the summer only service becoming more popular, it was decided to replace her with a new larger vessel. She maintained the service until June 20 1966, being replaced the next day by the new LES DEUX LEOPARDS. She made a few relief trips during the season, and was renamed EL DURO under the Panamian flag for a short time.
Following her replacement at Carteret she had by March 1968 been sold to Mr. M. Gabillet of Paris, and converted into a yacht and reverted to the name TORBAY BELLE, leaving Jersey for the Mediterranean on April 3 1968. The vessel was seen in Jersey again, for on August 28 1972 she visited the island as a yacht, still under the French flag, but with her funnel removed.
TORBAY BELLE had been built in 1935 and registered at Dartmouth on July 27 1935 to Mrs. Blache G. L. Peters of Torquay , who on March 15 1939 sold 32 shares in the vessel to William J. Peters of 32 shares. On April 27 1942 the vessels registry was cancelled as ship was acquired by the Minister of War Transport. Following the end of hostilities the ship was again registered at Dartmouth by her new owner Donald Baden Taylor of Wembley, Middlesex, on June 27 1946.
A year later on June 20 1947 the registered owners became The Devon Star Shipping Co. Ltd., Torquay, with John Kerr being the manager and was at Ipswich in the early part of 1949.
Picture : PHOTO ONE
Leaving St. Helier for Gorey to start her season. May 13 1962. 141w 20k
Picture : Gaby
Arriving Carteret. 151w 11.2k
At her winter lay-
Operator Cotentin Ferries
Builder Chantier Glehen, Douarnenez, 1996
Dimensions 89’ 27m beam 6.4m
Propulsion Twin screw, 855cv Passengers 178
This odd looking vessel entered service with little warning on July 27 1996 when she made a V.I.P. trip from Port Bail to Gorey (Jersey) and took up service the following day. She remained for only one season, during which she suffered a number of set backs. She had to be towed back into Jersey on August 6 and 14 with her licence being suspended the following day. She was back in service the next day but broke down again on August 22 and did not return until 27 .
Her last regular service was on September 4 1996 on the Granville route, but she made two further sailings between Port Bail and Gorey on September 9 and 10.
She was sold in 1998 to Vedettes inter-
The company went into bankruptcy in about 2005 and the vessel was laid-
The vessel still named ADMIRAL DE BOUGAINVILLE was taken to Nantes early in
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 001c 120k
Inward bound to St. Helier August 2 1996
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 002c 232k
ADMIRAL DE BOUGAINVILLE seen laid up at Douarnenez May 22 2010.
Owner Vedettes Blanches
Builder Westramarin A/S, Mandal. Yn. 84 1982
Tonnage 252grt 132nrt
Dimensions 29.21M 9.25M 1.491M
27.34 9.02 3.15
Propulsion Twin screw, 12 cyl oil engines each 2,200 bhp 26 kts.
Passengers 205 passengers
Launched in July 1982 to the order of an Italian company which suffered financial problems before completion, which resulting in the vessel being named VENTURE 84 and registered to Conoco Norway Inc, and registered in Monrovia
Acquired by Vedettes Blanches in time for the 1983 season she was renamed TRIDENT, and was shown off to the Islands authorities in Saint Malo on ……………. She made a V.I.P. trip to Jersey on March 26 entering service on April 1 1983.
In 1985 Vedettes Blanches expanded further, and acquired their third catamaran which was named TRIDENT 2 and thus the following year the three came under the Trident banner, with TRIDENT being renamed TRIDENT III, although she traded as TRIDENT 3.
The owners were part of a Group restructure in 1988, with all the companies coming the umbrella title of Emeraude Lines S.A., which became the ships registered owners.
TRIDENT 3 spent nearly all her time on the Saint Malo – Channel Islands route, and remained in service until June 29 1996, her demise brought about by the introduction of SOLIDOR 3 which could accommodate both excursion and the car passenger traffic.
TRIDENT 3 then moved to the eastern Mediterranean as FERGUN EXPRESS III having been sold to the Fergun Shipping which operated between Turkey and Northern Cyprus.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE t3 005c 102k
Arriving Jersey on a V.I.P. Trip 26 March 1983
Picture : © PHOTO ONE t3001c 492k
Picture : © PHOTO ONE t3 002c 94.4k
Picture : © PHOTO ONE t3 003c 128k
Departing St. Helier July 19 1985.
Picture : t3 006c 581k
Leaving Saint Malo.
Picture : Emeraude t3 007c 993k
Picture : © PHOTO ONE t3 004c 85.1k
Approaching St. Helier September 4 1993. Note the extra band of green just above the waterline.
Owner Vedettes Blanches.
Builder Westermoen Hydrofoil A/S, Mandal. Yn. 47 5 -
Tonnage 202grt 136nrt 30
Dimensions 26.67M 9.02 2.65 1.296M
24.16 9.02 2.65
Propulsion Twin screw. MTU 12 cyl oil engines, each 2,200 bhp 26kts.
Passengers 160dk pas
The vessel came to the Channel Islands in 1986 replacing BELLE DE DINARD on the Granville to Jersey route, and with her extra speed was able to extend the service to either Sark or Guernsey. The vessel was registered at TRIDENT II but always traded at TRIDENT 2.
She only spent four seasons on the route, being replaced by TRIDENT 4 which was able to carry an extra fifty passengers.
One interesting point regarding the vessel, is that the roundels emblazoned with a sea bird positioned on the side of the wheelhouse during the ships time on the Clyde remained while in the Channel Islands. This idea of a disk on the side of the wheelhouse was repeated later on the other TRIDENT’s.
Built as HIGHLAND SPEEDBIRD in 1976 for Western Ferries Ltd, she left the builders at Mandal on May 12. After calls at various ports round the south coast of England to show off the craft she arrived at Rothesay at the end of the month, and commenced a summer services on the Clyde on June 14.
She was not a success and was sold to Vedettes Blanches in time for the 1985 season.
.She was sold for service between Fromentine to Ile d'Yeu in time for the 1990 season, and was renamed CAP SUROIT being owned by Government of the Republic of France and operated by Regie de Vendee. Replaced by a fast mono hull in 1990, the vessel remained in the area and in 1997 was renamed DUMONT D’URVILLE being managed or owned by Yeu Continent Compagnie and registered at Les Sables d’Olanne.
She is still in the 2008/09 Lloyds Register as such, but one report states that she was sold to the Caribbean in 1997.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 001c 73.2k
Picture : © PHOTO ONE © 002c 132k
Departing St Helier July 19 1985
Picture : 004c 110k
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP89/4/7 003c 334k
Outward bound from St. Helier August 4 1989, during her last year in Emeraude service.
TRIDENT 3 1986 -
See TRIDENT above
Owner Emeraude Lines S.A.
Builder Westermoen Hydrofoil A/S, Mandal. Yn. 36 1974
Tonnage 251grt 149nrt
Dimensions 29.13m(oa) 9.00
Propulsion Twin screw, 2 x oil engines Soc Alsacienne de Const. Mec, Mulhouse 28.kts
The vessel was completed in 1974 as VINTGOR for ,Det Stavangerske D/S, Norway, and used on route Stavanger and Bergen
Acquired by Emeraude in 1990 for a stated 9mF, she was renamed TRIDENT 5, arriving in Jersey from Saint Malo for the first time on April 14 replacing TRIDENT 4 on that route, and then alternated with TRIDENT 3 on the onward service to Guernsey.
In 1995 TRIDENT 5 finished service on September 8, and then went off for two years in the Caribbean before returning to C.I. service on June 25 1998, but only remained until June the following year, when she went off to the south of France to operate a service for Air France between Saint Tropez, Cannes and Nice Airport during the summer.
In June 2000 the vessel passed to Mediterranea Pitiusa which operates out of Formenttera, and was renamed AIGUES DE FORMENTERA. She was last in use at the end of September 2010.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP90/9/30 001c 334k
TRIDENT 5 inbound to St. Helier August 21 1990.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 002c 399k
1991, still in the same colour scheme, but now with the addition of a rescue boat and davit placed aft on the cabin roof. Note the inside of the hulls are painted black.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 003c 363k
Now in the amended colour scheme.
Owner Emeraude Lines Fort de France, Martinique.
Builder Westamarin A/S, Mandal. Yn. 78 1981
Tonnage 211grt 164nrt 50dw
Dimensions 29.10m x 9.10m x 1.20m
Propulsion Twin screw, 2 x AGO oil engines 3,600bhp (2648Kw) Soc Alsa de Con Mec, Mulhouse (SACM)
Passengers 208 pass
The vessel was acquired by Emeraude in 1990, making her first trip to Jersey from Granville and onwards to Sark on June 28, and then took up services from Carteret / Portbail July 7. September 1 that year saw her replace TRIDENT 4 from Granville.
The vessel was used as required during the next couple of years, but in 1994 with the arrival of the high speed car ferry EMERAUDE one less passenger vessel was required, and she commenced her last short season on April 22 and made her final sailing on June 26 1994.
The vessel was then sold to Javno Poduzece “Jadrolinija” P.O. of Croatia and renamed OLEA being registered at Rijeka. She remains in service and 2011 saw her operating out of Zadar to the off shore islands, with her season finishing on about September 18 after which she was laid up.
The vessel had been built in 1981 for Alisur as ALISUR AMARILLO, the company operating in the Canary Islands, but although tried on a number of route she was not a success, and was sold for service at Fort-
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP90/10/10 003c 465k
TRIDENT 6 inbound to Gorey, August 23 1990.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP90/10/13 005c 489k
Departing Gorey, same day as above.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP91/4/13 001c k
Inbound to St. Helier August 1991.
Owner Island Ferries (CI) Ltd.
Builder Bolsones Varft, Molde. Yn. 206 1965
Tonnage 223grt 88nrt (LR 1991/92)
Dimensions 34.17 9.50 -
29.98 8.97 3.66
Propulsion Single screw, 5 cyl oil engine Normo. 650bhp
Passengers 250 deck.
The vessel was acquired in 1992 with the intention of operating a passenger / carferry / freight service between Cherbourg – Alderney and Guernsey.
Island Ferries (CI) Ltd. was formed in Alderney, and on February 14 1992 it was stated that one of the consortium together with a Lloyds surveyor are going to Norway to inspect the vessel, and five days later it was stated that the company have contracted to buy the vessel at a cost of £50,000 with modifications costing a further £12,000.
Surveys and stability took some time, and it was not until June 1 that the ship arrived at Cherbourg after a four and a half day voyage, and on Thursday June 4 she arrived at Alderney, moving on to Guernsey on June 7.
The schedule called for the vessel to operate Cherbourg to Alderney on a Tuesday and Cherbourg to Guernsey Wednesdays, and by July 8 it was stated that passenger accommodation had been built aft of the bridge, a stern ramp had been fitted, and that the ship had been painted with a red hull, white upper works and red/white and blue funnel, the work being undertaken in Cherbourg.
The ship with a French crew entered service with a trip Cherbourg – Alderney trip on July 21 1992, but her trip to Guernsey the next day had to be postponed by a day due to problems with the masters certificate.
Due to the Alderney and Sark (Licensing of Vessels) Law 1950, the vessel was not allowed to carry passengers or freight between Guernsey and Alderney, and this greatly reduced the company’s ability to earn money. With poor carryings on the services operated, a new route was introduced to Weymouth, but this did nothing to improve matters especially as on January 7 1993 when entering the English port the ship suffered a mechanical problem and hit a number of yachts causing severe damage.
The service continued to loose money, and in July 1993 the company looked at a re-
The vessel had been built as TRONDENES in 1965 for A/S Troms Fylkes Dampskipsselskap, and remained with them until 1990 when she was sold to More Kabel A/S, for cable laying work, and remained registered at Tromso.
She was sold early in 1992 to Aasmund Torvik of Fosnavag who re-
Following the failure of Island Ferries, the ship remained laid up in Weymouth until early 1994 when she was sold to Sogemer S.A., of Gabon being renamed BUFFALO and registered in Libreville
There are indications on some web sites that by 2006 the ship was owned in Togo, West Africa
Picture : © CP93/2/16aw 72.9k
Seen in St. Peter Port March 6 1993
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP93-
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP93-
The boat deck with the accommodation module installed prior to entering service.
Picture © PHOTO ONE CP93-
The funnel, showing the company’s destinctive logo.
Picture : © PHOTO ONE CP93/2/22aw 77.0k
A stern view, showing the open area of the car deck, and also that the
ship remained registered at Haguesund
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 201w 44.8k
TRONDENES seen laid up in Weymouth on October 12 1993
Picture : © PHOTO ONE 203w 54.9k